15.2.11

Retrosexual Moments :: Lion of the North

I remember being seventeen years old, just hardly starting to learn the guitar, when I found Lion of the North. They were abrasive, they were raw, they were sincere. The lyrics hit me on a really genuine level. I knew the sound wasn’t for everybody, though. So I turned one of their songs, “Ghost Stories”, into a simple four chord folk song. I wanted so desperately to share the words, I felt like maybe people would still hear the words, and maybe it would mean something to them the way they meant something to me. I don’t play my watered down renditions of their songs anymore, but they remain my favorite.

MP3 ::
Lion of the North - Ghost Stories
Lion of the North - New Years Resolutions
Lion broke up in 2009, but the members have gone on to play in Staph, Grown Ups, Antilles, and La Dispute.

2 comments:

  1. I'd also like to take this time to point out how rad it is that Ghost Stories starts with a quote from Dwight, of The Office.

    ReplyDelete

PLZ  BE  KIND