Retrosexual Moments :: Gang of Four

Gang of Four, named for the Chinese political faction of communists, started playing in 1977. They still occasionally play shows. I once showed these guys to a friend of mine, and he said "It sounds alright, but I feel like I've heard it a thousand times before." This made me kind of sad because Gang of Four were one of the first to have this sound, and they never really received due credit. I've always adored the way their guitarist and bassist seem to have playful back-and-forths, coupled with Jon King's goofy-but-catchy vocals. Most of all, I'll always remember singing "Damaged Goods" with one of my closest friends everyday as we drove cross-country; making silly faces and trying to dance like Uma Thurman and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction (at least, that's what I was going for, maybe that wasn't his aim) as best as we could while sitting in car seats.

MP3 ::
Gang of Four - Damaged Goods
Gang of Four - At Home He's A Tourist

1 comment:

  1. Your 'meh' friend should be flogged with a copy of Das Kapital :-) I bought this when it came out in '79 & it DID sound like nothing else (or very little else) around in UK at that time - glad someone else discovered it some years after the fact & appreciated the awesome - imho they didn't really surpass this 1st LP (a few great songs aside) Thanks for posting.